Writing in the Major: the M-Course
By making writing assignments central to the work of the course and emphasizing revision processes, an M-Course helps students explore both the knowledge of a particular discipline and the discourse conventions used within the discipline to create and share that knowledge.
The M-Course Form details the course requirements for Writing in the Major [M] status.
Course proposals seeking an M-Course designation go first to the Catalog Subcommittee. The Catalog Subcommittee will dispatch course proposals to the correct reviewer for M Course approval.
All University Writing Committee and M-Course Review
The AUWC reports through the Office of the Provost and is tasked with an array of responsibilities including the continuous M-Course Review and the development of policy recommendations concerning writing at WSU.
- Formulates policy recommendations concerning university-wide writing programs for submission to the Faculty Senate.
- Acts as the central policy committee for the university-wide writing program.
- Determines general criteria and procedures for submission and approval of writing in the major courses. Receives requests for writing in the major courses and submits them for final approval to the Faculty Senate through the Catalog Subcommittee of the Academic Affairs Committee.
- Provides guidance and approves procedures used in university-wide writing assessments.
- Regularly monitors all elements of the all-university writing program.
- Discusses and proposes ways in which the assigning of writing and the assessment of writing can compliment UCORE goals and assessments*
- Discusses and proposes ways in which faculty development can happen to compliment UCORE goals and assessments (or any all goals and assessments related to faculty who value using writing in their courses).
All University Writing Committee Members
Chris Davitt (Sciences)
Uma Jayaram (Engineering)
Corey Johnson (libraries)
Carmen Lugo-Lugo (Liberal Arts)
Patty Ericsson (English Composition Director)
Wendy Olson (WSU Vancouver)
Karen Weathermon (Learning Communities & UCORE)
Chuck Munson (Business)
Steve Lampa (Vet medicine)
Rebecca Vandevord (Global Campus)
Lisa Johnson (Writing Program)
Brooklyn Walter (Writing Program)