The GWC offers a number of services to graduate and professional students who would like help with writing. Whether you bring in a polished draft of a dissertation or a brand new cover letter for a job application, the GWC is able to help.
To schedule an appointment, visit our scheduling system.
The mission of the Graduate Writing Center (GWC) is to assist graduate students from all disciplines with all types of written communications from research papers and publications to cover letters and curriculum vitae. The GWC offers individual face-to-face appointments as well as walk-in hours. The GWC works with students to help them learn to revise and edit their own writing. The GWC mission is educational, which is why we do not proofread or copyedit student work.
- Scheduled appointments take place entirely during the time allotted. Comments made by the consultant will not be emailed back to the author unless the author meets with the consultant during the designated hour to discuss the editing suggestions.
- Graduate students are limited to a total of ONE scheduled appointment during a calendar week. However, you are welcome to come by during out Walk-in and Open Writing hours (see the schedule).
- Faculty and staff of WSU may not use the GWC unless they are also enrolled as graduate students; otherwise, faculty and staff are welcome to use the Professional Editing Service Center.
- Because proofreading/copy editing services are now available through the Professional Editing Service Center, scheduled appointments will not cover proofreading/copyediting.
- For any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org
GWC Services Offered
Schedule an appointment for an in-depth face-to-face consultation focusing on broad, overall writing issues. Writing projects should be limited to 15 double-spaced pages and submitted via email using the address of the consultant for your appointment (to find the email of your consultant, click here).
Make sure that you send file no less than 24 hours before the appointment. Please submit your file in either a .doc or .docx file type. If this isn’t possible, email your consultant to let them know.
2. Walk-in Hours
Walk-in hours do not require an appointment, and sessions are limited to 30 minutes if there are students waiting to meet with the consultant.
3. Open Hours
Open hours do not require an appointment. Students can simply walk in and use the brand new equipment to work on their writing. There will be a consultant on hand if students need any help.
4. Virtual Meetings
In extenuating circumstances, the GWC offers virtual meetings. Please note the following policies before requesting this service:
- The student absolutely cannot attend a physical meeting in any capacity. If a student is in the Pullman area and able, the student must make a face-to-face appointment.
- One week’s time is needed to schedule and arrange a meeting. Simply make an appointment through our system, but be sure to email the consultant at lease one week in advance to ensure their availability for online consultation. Requests for a meeting in less than a week will not be accommodated.
- Meetings are conducted through Skype or Zoom. Students must have access to both audio and video through these programs. Please get in contact with your consultant no less than 24 hours before the meeting or the meeting will be canceled. Details will be worked out with the consultant through this communication.
- Not all consultants are able to accommodate virtual consultations.
Please email email@example.com to learn more about this service or contact your consultant directly to inquire about his or her virtual availability.
4. PDI Events: Writing Workshop Series
The GWC collaborates with the Graduate School and the Graduate and Professional Student Association (GPSA) to offer writing workshops in the Professional Development Initiative (PDI) series. Click the link for our events and descriptions.
WE MOVED! The GWC can be found in CUE 402G, on a different part of the same floor as the old room.
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Brand New Services
The GWC has brand new equipment that you can use to come and work on your stuff, no appointment necessary. Students can come in anytime during Walk-in or our brand new, Open Writing hours. These Open Writing hours feature a consultant on-hand to help you with any questions at all while you work! For availability, see the link to our hours below.
Appointments, Walk-in, and Open Writing hours are all listed in our scheduling system: wsu.mywconline.com.