The mission of the Graduate Writing Center (GWC) is to assist graduate students from all disciplines with all types of written communications from research papers and publications to cover letters and curriculum vitae. The GWC offers individual online consultations in which a professional consultant works with students to help them learn to revise and edit their own writing. The GWC mission is educational, which is why we do not proofread or copyedit student work.
Services (Online Only)
- Improve your writing in a supportive and friendly environment, at any stage of working on your paper.
- Learn to revise and edit your writing, paraphrase sentences, and organize the structure of your paper.
- Get help with checking plagiarism of your paper.
- Polish the draft of your writing.
- Get one-to-one tutoring with a GWC consultant
- Work with on all types of writings including thesis, proposal, prelim paper, dissertation, cover letter, resume/CV, conference paper and teaching materials.
Schedule an appointment here for an in-depth online consultation focusing on your writing. Writing projects submitted should be limited to 15 double-spaced pages and emailed using the address of the consultant for your appointment (to find the email of your consultant, click here).
Make sure that you send your file no less than 24 hours before the appointment for every appointment. Please submit your file in either a .doc or .docx file type. If this isn’t possible, email your consultant to let them know.
Please note the following policies before scheduling an online appointment. For every appointment scheduled:
- One week’s time is needed to schedule and arrange a meeting. Simply make an appointment through our system, but be sure to email the consultant at lease one week in advance to ensure their availability for online consultation. Requests for a meeting in less than a week are not guaranteed to be accommodated.
- Meetings are conducted through Skype or Zoom. Students must have access to both audio and video through these programs. Please get in contact with your consultant no less than 24 hours before the meeting or the meeting will be canceled. Details will be worked out with the consultant through this communication.
Are you scheduling the appointment for the first time and are not sure how to do it? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. The video below explains the simple steps you can follow to schedule an appointment.
We understand that sometimes you might have a question that one of our consultants can respond to with an email. Please use the link here to send us your question and we will get in touch shortly.
Please include as much detail as possible in your question. If the consultant believes that your question can be better addressed in a meeting with you, they will communicate that to you in their response. Our consultants will get back to you in least two working days. Incase of an urgent question please contact WSU’s professional editing service.
Please email email@example.com to learn more about this service.
- Scheduled appointments take place entirely during the time allotted. Comments made by the consultant will not be emailed back to the author unless the author meets with the consultant during the designated hour to discuss the student’s work.
- For the rest of Spring 2021, to ensure our graduate students get as much support as possible, graduate students can schedule as many appointments as they would like. This policy is subject to change over time.
- Faculty and staff of WSU may not use the GWC unless they are also enrolled as graduate students; otherwise, faculty and staff are welcome to use the Professional Editing Service Center.
- Because proofreading/copy editing services are now available through the Professional Editing Service Center, scheduled appointments will not cover proofreading/copyediting.
- For any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org